• What is new?

Don't forget to log on to: Purple Mash, Britannica and Read for your school! Remember to visit the reading blog too!

If you quieten your mind, the symphony will start. This means: if you concentrate, all the 'good' things will happen!

PE Wednesdays

The Watercycle - evaporation [sun heats up water and it turns into a gas]-condensation [the droplets, which is a gas, cools down, clouds are formed]-precipitation [rain, hail, snow, sleet]-run-off [rivers, underground water]- collection [water gathers in the oceans] and the process starts again!

Read something every day!

• Hello and welcome!

Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. - Lewis Howes

Ubuntu is an Ancient African word which means: 'I am', because 'we are' - which means - working together.

Queen Nefertiti wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten during the 14th century B.C.
    Hello and Welcome to your Y4 blog- previously the Y5V blog. The name 'Ubuntu' means also to help one another and work together, have compassion and humility - all linking to our 5 school values!

Queen Cleopatra 69 BC
    Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. Always 'try!'
    A person who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. So, do not copy other people, think outside the box and do what you need or want to do. Don't be a follower - be a leader.
    The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    The world is divided into people who do things – and people who get the credit.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Keep on dreaming, it's something good!
    Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly. So, start doing! You'll be amazed by what you will achieve!

Our values: Truth, Compassion, Contentment, Humility and Love   

Our  ‘learning to learn’ skills are:
    Confidence to give everything a go, Persistence, Asking questions, Making links with prior learning, Sharing ideas and forming your own opinions, Creative problem-solving, Thinking things through – planning ahead

Our shared values in Y4: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do and say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and do our work thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

Our Class blog: 2011_12 was shortlisted for the Educational Class Blog Award! Click the image to see we ended up in position nr 10! http://y5atschool.edublogs.org/
    We like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it.

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• Thank you for your visit

• Archives

• Be Awesome!

Eye of Horus - Wedjat eye

• We like to learn new things!

Victorian stories – 3

Image: worldoffancydress

It was a frightening, gloomy night, when torture began! “Crash, boom! thump, crash!!” It was war. Charlie’s whole family was bombed! Charlie ended up in Britain and on the streets. As his soulful eyes grew tiny and narrowed, small tears slid across his cheeks. People (that were rich), laughed and pointed at him and tiptoed by. His life was wrecked…

One day, it was a bright, fresh crispy morning – the sun was about to settle, when suddenly his eyes followed a man. The man was wearing a top-hat and hence a long cloak with jagged ends and gripping a long stick!  Moreover, the stick had a logo that Charlie noticed earlier. Apparently, the man was coming towards him!

“Hello, kid! What’s up, me names Mr Jonsman,” introduced Mr Jonsman himself in a low and deep voice. Little did Charlie know that how much trouble he would be in if he responded to Mr Jonsman…

“H-hello – Sir, do have anything to eat? Oh, if not food, can I just have a blanket, me is so shivvering!” muttered poor Charlie. 

“Wait, you want enough shillings for you grubby old self, you can work in my factory!” exclaimed and concluded Mr Jonsman.

As they were talking, Charlie saw a spark in Mr Jonsman’s eye…He had a curious doubt. After talking and walking for a while, there was a mysterious long pause…

“Right!” Jonsman said, reaching out towards Charlie, dragging him on the saddle. Minutes later, they arrived at an old, shabby, but enormous house. Charlie looked around… it was…quite… Slowly, while opening the door to the enormous dusty house, Mr Jonsman ordered quickly, “Come, come, come!!”

Just then, Jonsman grabbed poor Charlie’s hand and slid him wildly across the surface; finally in a dark gloomy, mysterious room.

“The name’s Gangster Gill, and no one, not even my gang, messes with me!!” Jonsman (who is actually Gangster Gill) shouted viciously, walking from side to side, whilst Charlie crawled slowly towards the corner of the room.

“I’m the world’s most wanted wants-man there ever is in all wantsmanships!! The soldiers have been hunting for me for years, all across the world. I am still alive! I’ve been torturing people, throwing them in rivers and making them starve!

In a quick sudden flash, Gangster Gill smacked the door closed. Now Charlie was stuck with a rope…hang on …a rope? That mysteriously gave clever Charlie a great idea! After a minute, his eye caught a window! It was a long large window, with neatly polished sides. Charlie was good at maths and puzzles, so he quickly and quietly, grab-hold of the rope and flung it outside the window and tied it to a tree. Successfully, he began climbing it easily. Near the end, he took a huge leap for it. Fortunately, he was gone! He had escaped!!

Still know one knows where Charlie had gone to! He might be here, just behind you! And as for Gangster Gill….? Well, that’s a whole lot of another story! +++ Harnoor

Image:nettlesworth.durham.sch

It was a warm cheerful afternoon, when Mack was putting his rubbish in the bin. Mack was getting looked after his older sister Jan, also they were living in a small quiet village, not far from London. Mack didn’t know his family, only his mum, who died from a water disease. His sister knew all about their dad and kept on telling Mack all about him, but sadly, he got killed by a street gang!

It was a perishing, cold and crispy morning, when Mack was getting water from a river nearby. “I’m… really cold!” he whispered. He immediately called his friends over to get the water with him. As soon as they got the filthy water, (that is all what was available) Jan had spotted something very peculiar. Because she didn’t like his friends, she told them to go, she even gave Mack a whole lecture on his friends! So Mack dropped the water and had to go back again for water. He then thought he got followed, but ignored it. When he reached the river, a person stood behind him and grabbed him!

As the crafty person set off, Mack was shouting, “HELP!!!” It was too late. They got to a large filthy factory and the mystery man ordered him, “Go and pick those threads up!” “Y..yes!!” cried Mack instantly. One hour later, “I’m going to escape!!” Mack whispered to himself. So the next day, he told his boss that he needed a bath urgently and he got sent to the sea. Suddenly, his boss appeared out of nowhere, but didn’t see Mack!

Mack ran as fast as a wild dog! When he saw his sister, Jan, he went wild and shouted repeatedly, “I am free!!” Mack was free, but the mystery man was arrested and Mack lived happily ever after. +++Ruben
Follow this link for more Victorian facts and interesting reading – especially for children your age.

Image: woodlandsjunior

On dark winter’s day, Jake’s father came out of their cottage to cut more trees, but suddenly, when he looked at where the trees should be, there were none! Then he turned his body slowly…looking at the neighbour’s yard, they had plenty of trees. He knew he couldn’t steal, so he went inside. After a while, Jake disappeared and was not found in the cottage!  Jake was in the factory, he was ordered to go into the chimney and to clean it. Jake had no choice, though he didn’t clean it, but only the fireplace. 

When the owner, with his big and meaty hands, found out that he didn’t clean the chimney, Jake got tortured. After a while the man left, but Jake felt dizzy. When he eventually got up, he saw a nice man with a beige coat coming towards him. Jake was terrified!. He didn’t know the man.

The man helped Jake to get up and took him to the doctor and said to him very politely, “Don’t be scared, I will help you.” Het got his treatment done and took him home. Jake’s parents were shocked to see him like that. “What happened to you? Are you all right?” they both asked. “Y…yes, I think I am,” stammered Jake. The man asked, “Could I take care of him, because I already got his treatment running?” “Yes! Yes you may!” Jake’s mother and father said kindly. “Thank you, I promise to take good care of him, you can move into my house and I will not charge you for anything. I will give you money, as I’m rich!” he explained. “Really, really? Now we would love to come along,” they replied anxiously.

As the years passed in their new house, his mother and father got older and older and Jack grew up as a young fine man. [to be continued] +++ Taljot

Copyright ©      Provided by PrimaryBlogger    Designed by WPDesigner    Hosted by PrimaryBlogger