• What is new?

Don't forget to log on to: Purple Mash, Britannica and Read for your school! Remember to visit the reading blog too!

If you quieten your mind, the symphony will start. This means: if you concentrate, all the 'good' things will happen!

PE Wednesdays

The Watercycle - evaporation [sun heats up water and it turns into a gas]-condensation [the droplets, which is a gas, cools down, clouds are formed]-precipitation [rain, hail, snow, sleet]-run-off [rivers, underground water]- collection [water gathers in the oceans] and the process starts again!

Read something every day!

• Hello and welcome!

Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. - Lewis Howes

Ubuntu is an Ancient African word which means: 'I am', because 'we are' - which means - working together.

Queen Nefertiti wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten during the 14th century B.C.
    Hello and Welcome to your Y4 blog- previously the Y5V blog. The name 'Ubuntu' means also to help one another and work together, have compassion and humility - all linking to our 5 school values!

Queen Cleopatra 69 BC
    Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. Always 'try!'
    A person who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. So, do not copy other people, think outside the box and do what you need or want to do. Don't be a follower - be a leader.
    The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    The world is divided into people who do things – and people who get the credit.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Keep on dreaming, it's something good!
    Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly. So, start doing! You'll be amazed by what you will achieve!

Our values: Truth, Compassion, Contentment, Humility and Love   

Our  ‘learning to learn’ skills are:
    Confidence to give everything a go, Persistence, Asking questions, Making links with prior learning, Sharing ideas and forming your own opinions, Creative problem-solving, Thinking things through – planning ahead

Our shared values in Y4: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do and say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and do our work thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

Our Class blog: 2011_12 was shortlisted for the Educational Class Blog Award! Click the image to see we ended up in position nr 10! http://y5atschool.edublogs.org/
    We like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it.

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• Thank you for your visit

• Archives

• Be Awesome!

Eye of Horus - Wedjat eye

• We like to learn new things!

Victorian Stories – 2

Image: playyourpart

An owl hooted, it was nearly midnight. Charlotte, a pleasant, sweet girl, woke up to start serving her master. He was a polite and kind man, his name was Wily Russo. 

Charlotte opened her master’s door and quietly tiptoed  over to her master’s bed to start massaging his legs.

After she massaged his legs, she quickly and quietly went downstairs to make breakfast. It was still dark. She made oatmeal with strawberries and blue berries. This was Wily Russo’s favourite breakfast. Also, Charlotte made some toast with jam for Wily’s wife.

As soon as Wily woke up with his wife, he immediately scoffed his breakfast on the dining table and ordered his wife to sit down. Praising Charlotte he said, “Yummy food once again!” Shyly Charlotte replied, “Thank you, Sir!” “Here’s your 5 shillings for this hour Charlotte,” he whispered. “Thank you, Sir,” Charlotte responded in a soft voice.

Excitedly and lively, Charlotte walked to the kitchen with the dishes. Wily Russo left for work with his big black bag, while his wife stayed in the house along with Charlotte.

Half an hour later, Charlotte got thrown out of the house, literally with her suitcase and all her belongings! Charlotte was surprised. Wily’s spoilt wife didn’t like her that much! Sitting under the shelter at the bus stop, Charlotte starved for food! Then she remembered the 5 shillings!

Bare feet she walked all the way to the meat pudding shop and spent a shilling on a pie with gravy. As she entered the shop, she realised it was empty and a man was hastily packing the supplies in the stove.

“What’s going on, Sir!” moaned Charlotte. “I’m closing down this shop! It hasn’t got busier for the past five months,” replied the man immediately.

“Well, may I have a pie?” called Charlotte out, without looking at the man. “I’m sorry, I can’t give you a pie,” shouted the man viciously.

Meanwhile, Wily Russo was walking down the same street and in one sudden moment, he saw Charlotte drenched in rain. Running over to her, he covered her with a towel and walked her to the house. He asked his wife what happened. She told him the truth and said, “I’m also packing my bags, I’m going back to my mum – forever!” Wily’s wife left the house – forever! 

“Charlotte, I’ve got good news for you, you are not a servant anymore! You are now my very own daughter! I am officially adopting you as my daughter – Charlotte Russo!” chuckled Wily. 

“Thank you, Si… uh, I mean… father!” replied Charlotte quietly. Charlotte was happy forever! +++ Navkiran

Image: Victoriaspast

As the cold heavy wind lashed down on the dull green grass, a young generous girl from a rich Victorian family was being humiliated by her horrible father and stubborn sister, who became helpful to orphans. This particular girl was named, ‘Elizabeth’.

Elizabeth thought her father and sister would outsmart her. Thinking she would be a brisk walk up to the peaceful park nearby, only to discover that there was absolutely no sign of any relatives of her. All of a sudden, she thought how positive she felt about the thought of being left all by herself. It was a total success, as it was only her and her thoughts and some fresh air! All of her relatives had been away to do various jobs.

When Elizabeth calmly entered the park, she noticed a very unusual type of tree! Curiously and eagerly she neared the tree in one sprint! This tree was near the entrance of the park, which was part of a forest. Meanwhile, Elizabeth’s dad got stupidly drunk! On the other hand, her stubborn sister, Violet, was quite positive, because she tried not to be negative for Elizabeth’s sake. Suddenly, Elizabeth kept on sprinting, continuously.

“AAAHHH!!!” cried Elizabeth. “Um, hello, who are you?” asked an uneducated and grimy person. “Well, my actual name is Elizabeth, what is your name? Why are you here?” asked Elizabeth, very thoughtfully.

“Hannah,” grunted the other person. Grabbing Hannah on her arm, Elizabeth all of a sudden brought her home with her. “Where have you been all the time?” yelled her father. Then he noticed Hanna’s neck. A beautiful, but tiny necklace, which stored a photo of her parents, was around her neck!  Hannah was an abandoned child, however she was discovered at a waterfall, dressed very unhygienic. Next Elizabeth’s father put his grimy hands on his bold, shivering head and thought to adopt Hanna, who felt now that she was part of the family- but actually a ‘missing link’! Enjoying every little second, they had some pleasing moments to share as a new family. Anaya

Image: museumoflondon

There was a boy called Jack and he was deaf because his friends shouted in his ears. Jack didn’t have any parents. He knocked on the doors to beg for money so he could buy some food for himself. One day a rich passer-by questioned Jack, “Where are your parents?” Jack didn’t know what to say.  Jack and the children that worked with him had only torn and ragged clothes.

One day Jack saw a market which had food and clothes to buy. So he went to call his friends so all of them could come and buy something to eat and clothes to have and were very happy. – Balraj.

One dark unfriendly night, a boy was deeply worried. He wondered and thought, “I wish my sister was here, but she’s now busy with her job, cleaning and taking care of a sick lady and going to a well to get some water.” Silently he then walked downstairs and demandingly he screamed, “Sister, I want you here! Please come here! I need to go to work!” 

Daniel was lucky. His sister had just come from the well. She could help him to find his broom, he needed it for his chimney-work. Daniel was good at his job. It was a hard and dirty job and you could even die! It was also very hot in most chimneys and Daniel was sometimes ill. Eventually, Daniel was finished cleaning the chimney, but there was somebody waiting by the corner, he stared at Daniel with two bloodshot eyes, as if he had drunk a lot and didn’t have enough sleep for days. At first, Daniel ignored the man. He was a servant and called Daniel. Daniel still ignored him. Eventually, the man stopped staring at him and Daniel, respectfully walked away from him, tired and sweaty. 

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a shadow appeared. It was dark! It was pitch dark! It was frightening! It was the man from the house!! The servant! He had a jealous and greedy smile on his face. It looked as if he was going to do something…!! Viciously he grabbed Daniel and….crrrrrunch!!  threw him in his expensive car and carefully drove off!

Finally they were in the man’s house! For Daniel it felt like his blood had froze!  After a while, Daniel jumped up and down of joy! He was going to live in this huge mansion! He was so lucky! But soon… as he stepped away…his good luck turned into a nightmare! The man shouted aggressively, “Clean the chimney! It used to be very clean!!” Daniel cried, “I wish I could go home and see my sister!” Without saying anything, the dangerous man pushed him towards the house and took him towards the chimney. Daniel moaned. [to be continued…] +++Priya

Image: nettlesworth.durham.sch

As winter flew past, Sam dozed off to a warm cosy sleep. He lived in a rich beautiful mansion. His dad was very rich, but strict. Sam was really happy, things couldn’t be better. He would love to become a glamorous, clever and famous person, but things suddenly didn’t work out! “I always wanted to know about poor Victorian families,” he said to himself, “…and now we are!” After that day, life was a bit different for Sam and his family. They were suddenly very poor.

All of a sudden, his family got kicked out of the mansion! Everybody was angry at Sam, “All the money is gone!” No one was happy, except for Sam. He was not the one that made it happen. “I was such a stupid person! I knew that mum was disabled and very  ill and I knew she wouldn’t be able to deal with it,” he thought to himself, looking through the window. “Who could do that to us!” he wondered.

“I could be a big boy and tell the truth,” Sam whispered, as the family strolled down the narrow and lonely path. They all stopped for a break. “Let’s stop and have a break,” muttered Mum. “We all need jobs, ok? Sam, you are brave and intelligent. You will be good at cleaning chimneys and Lizzy, you take the underground and make sure you get a job,” uttered Dad quietly. “But Dad, that is hard and scary!” screamed Sam and Lizzy almost together. “Well, yes! But after a day you will get used to it, I hope so,” muttered Dad. 

As time went past, Sam’s parents went to London. Sam and Lizzy both got jobs, as cleaners. They hated it. [to be continued…] +++Kiran

++Keep checking back, more stories to be added! If you have time, tell Y5′s what you like about their stories, they will love it. Y5′s had barely time to improve their stories properly, we nearly ran out of time as we were still busy with Street Child, so these stories were done in about 3 days, though they worked really hard.

Copyright ©      Provided by PrimaryBlogger    Designed by WPDesigner    Hosted by PrimaryBlogger