• What is new?

Don't forget to log on to: Purple Mash, Britannica and Read for your school! Remember to visit the reading blog too!

If you quieten your mind, the symphony will start. This means: if you concentrate, all the 'good' things will happen!

PE Wednesdays

The Watercycle - evaporation [sun heats up water and it turns into a gas]-condensation [the droplets, which is a gas, cools down, clouds are formed]-precipitation [rain, hail, snow, sleet]-run-off [rivers, underground water]- collection [water gathers in the oceans] and the process starts again!

Read something every day!

• Hello and welcome!

Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. - Lewis Howes

Ubuntu is an Ancient African word which means: 'I am', because 'we are' - which means - working together.

Queen Nefertiti wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten during the 14th century B.C.
    Hello and Welcome to your Y4 blog- previously the Y5V blog. The name 'Ubuntu' means also to help one another and work together, have compassion and humility - all linking to our 5 school values!

Queen Cleopatra 69 BC
    Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. Always 'try!'
    A person who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. So, do not copy other people, think outside the box and do what you need or want to do. Don't be a follower - be a leader.
    The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    The world is divided into people who do things – and people who get the credit.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Keep on dreaming, it's something good!
    Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly. So, start doing! You'll be amazed by what you will achieve!

Our values: Truth, Compassion, Contentment, Humility and Love   

Our  ‘learning to learn’ skills are:
    Confidence to give everything a go, Persistence, Asking questions, Making links with prior learning, Sharing ideas and forming your own opinions, Creative problem-solving, Thinking things through – planning ahead

Our shared values in Y4: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do and say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and do our work thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

Our Class blog: 2011_12 was shortlisted for the Educational Class Blog Award! Click the image to see we ended up in position nr 10! http://y5atschool.edublogs.org/
    We like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it.

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• Thank you for your visit

• Archives

• Be Awesome!

Eye of Horus - Wedjat eye

• We like to learn new things!

Egyptians

The three songs for our assembly.

The mummy song

Cleopatra song

King Tut song

Mummification

Building of the pyramids

Assembly Songs

Cleopatra
I am a leader and a lady and a Queen.
I’m Cleopatra, such a queen never been seen.
I am a Pharaoh yet they’re all meant to be guys
But I don’t care, oh I just wear a beard disguise.

My mum and dad were Pharaohs, I thought my rule’s due.
But both my older sisters thought that they should rule too.
Oh dear they both died! I wonder who that would leave.
Little me-o, Pharaoh Cleo, okay, no time to grieve!

Think that’s alarming? You’d be right, but it gets worse.
Married my half-brother and we ruled the universe.
That bad romance led to an overcrowded throne.
But then he died. (Boohoo!) So now I rule alone.

Wa wa wa wa wa! (All hail Lady Cleo.)
Wa wa wa la la! (Coolest Pharaoh by far.)

Fashion topped my list of vices,
Bathed in asses milk and spices,
Then I dressed like Goddess Isis.
Long black hair in ringlets nicest.
Vipers too for men entices.
Finest linen robe top prices!

’Cos I am Cleopatra, Egypt’s royalty,

The ruling Pharaoh, don’t you dareo mess with me.
My pokerface smiles only when I see,
A man that takes my fancy, like oh! Mark Antony!

Wa wa wa wa wa! (Another Roman leader)
Wa wa wa la la! (No Egyptian crowd pleaser!)

Ra, ra Cleopatra. Finally I’d met my matcha.
Ra, ra PatraCleo. Ends in death for him and meo.
My life was a drama I was one kooky mama.
Wa wa wa, you know. Today I’d be a fav’rite of the Paparazzo!

Tutenkhamun
Many years ago, in the land of the Pharaohs,
A young boy lived, not yet fully grown.
Many years ago, Egypt needed a ruler,
And Tutankhamun ascended the throne.
Tutankhamun, the nine-year-old king,
Tutankhamun, what will the future bring?

Many years ago in the land of the Pharaohs, the young king said:
‘Who will be my Queen?’
Many years ago, he chose Ankhesenamun,
The bride to be was only thirteen!
Tutankhamun, the nine-year-old king,

Now, for ten years he reigned over Egypt,
But the boy-king was frail, and he died.
He was buried, along with his treasure.
More than three thousand passed,
The tomb was forgotten,
With the secrets of the Pharaoh inside …

In nineteen-twenty-two, Carter made a discov’ry:
King Tut’s tomb, buried in the sand.
Suddenly the world knew his face and his name:
The most famous Pharaoh in all of the land!
Tutankhamun, the nine-year-old king,
Tutankhamun, the nine-year-old king,

The Mummy Song
Pull out the eyes, rip out the tummy.
Wrap it in cloth and you’ve got a mummy.
Put it in jars and do the Mummy Rag.

Cover with salt to keep it fresh.
Pack it with cloth and put on a mask.
Put in a coffin and do the Mummy Rag.

You’re there forever.
But you’ve been clever.
You’ve taken everything you will need for life thereafter.

Pack up your gold.
Fix up some food.
When you are judged, just hope you’ve been good.
Plenty of time to do the Mummy Rag.

Plenty of time to do the Mummy Rag.
Mummy!

Mummy Dance Y4 2014_2015 – This is what children remember after almost a year! Well done to Y5 girls! You were FAB to remember all of this!

Dance – King Tut

More about Egypt

1) Food and drink 

Egypt was a very fertile land, and under normal circumstances no one went hungry. Food could be homegrown, earned in the form of rations (there was no money), hunted, fished or bartered at market. Water could be obtained from wells, the Nile, or irrigation canals built by the Egyptians.

Grain – wheat or barley – was the principal source of carbohydrate. Everyone ate vast quantities of bread, even the gods, whose temples received daily offerings of hundreds of loaves. Vegetables and fish were widely available, and the typical peasant family ate a healthy diet rich in bread, fish, onions and pulses supplemented by occasional small game and fowl. The elite ate meat on a more regular basis. Chicken, which is consumed in vast quantities in modern Egypt, was not available.
Beer, a mild, thick, slightly sweet beverage best drunk through a filtering straw, was the main drink of the masses, consumed at every meal. Wine made from grapes grown in the Nile Delta was a privilege of the elite.
bakingbread
Egyptians baking bread  Image: historyextra

2) Clothes

Many painted tomb walls show Egypt’s elite dressed in gleaming white, intricately pleated garments as they walk through the fields or enjoy a tasty banquet. This is very much an idealised image. Archaeological evidence indicates that most women dressed in practical, plain, sleeved dresses similar in style to the simple galabiyahs worn by modern Egyptian villagers. These dresses were made from linen; cotton and silk being unknown in ancient Egypt. Woven sandals and a shawl for warmth completed the outfit. 

Men had a similar wardrobe, although the long outer garment would be removed and replaced by a kilt when working in the fields. These simple garments would have been very valuable; they would have been handed down, patched and darned, until at the end of their useful life, they were used as mummy wrappings.

Laundry was done in the canal or the Nile, with natron, a salt-rich mineral, as a cleaning agent.

3) Health

Egypt’s doctors were considered the best in the ancient Mediterranean world. They employed a combination of scientific techniques (observation and diagnosis) and magical rituals (spells and charms) to bring about their cures. Patients might be treated with a prescription – human milk being considered a particularly effective ingredient – or by minor surgery. 

There was some specialisation among doctors, with Egypt’s gynaecologists offering not only the treatment of female illnesses, but also the provision of fertility and pregnancy tests and (unreliable) contraceptive measures. 

Although mummification made the Egyptians aware of the arrangement of the internal organs, their understanding of the body systems was inaccurate. They believed that there was a network of ‘canals’ centred on the heart, which included the blood vessels, tear-ducts, and nerves. Obstructions within this system would cause floods and droughts in different areas of the body. 
Egyptiandoctor
From the   Theban tomb of Ipi  – image: historyextra

4) Religion

The Egyptian pantheon included several thousand deities. These gods might be arranged in a loose hierarchy, with nationally recognised state gods at the top, locally significant gods in the middle, and demi-gods and supernatural beings at the bottom. 
While the king and his priests worshipped the important state gods in their state temples, his subjects were almost entirely excluded from state religion. Instead, they worshipped an eclectic mix of local gods, demi-gods and supernatural beings; the spirits and ancestors who never developed formal cults, but who undoubtedly had an enormous influence on the lives of the ordinary people. 
Magic was, at all levels of society, a real and potent power that could be used to protect the innocent and ward off harm. It could not be separated in any meaningful way from either formal religion or science.

5) The home

The Egyptians built their towns and cities from mud-brick, reserving stone for their temples and tombs. Building with this material was both cheap and fast, but unfortunately, over time, almost all the mudbrick houses and palaces have crumbled and dissolved. 

Fortunately, the workmen’s village of Deir el-Medina – home of the royal tomb-builders – has survived relatively intact. Here the terraced houses were long, narrow and dark, with a wooden front door opening directly onto the main street. Each house included two living or public rooms, a storeroom or bedroom, and a kitchen equipped with a mud-brick oven. The roof over the kitchen was made from matting that would allow smoke and cooking smells to escape.  Stairs gave access to the rest of the roof, which could be used as an additional living space.
pluckinggeese
Theban mural showing people plucking geese

6) Life after death

In Ancient Egypt death was not necessarily the end of life. The Egyptians believed it was possible to live again, if the corpse was preserved in a lifelike form so that it might form a bridge between the spirit of the deceased and the land of the living.  So, as soon as possible after death, the body was taken to the undertaker’s workshop. Here it was laid on a sloping embalming table, stripped, and washed.

The brain was immediately discarded. This was usually achieved by breaking the ethmoid bone (the bone separating the nasal cavity from the skull cavity) and poking a long-handled spoon up a nostril. The heart, in contrast, was left in place. Next an incision was made in the left flank, then the stomach, intestine, lungs and liver drawn out. The finger- and toenails were tied in place and the corpse packed with natron salt. It was left for up to 40 days, until entirely dry. Finally the desiccated body was washed, oiled and bandaged. Not everyone could afford this treatment, however. The vast majority of the population were buried unmummified, in simple desert graves.
Article by: Joyce Tyldesley, senior lecture in Egyptology at the University of Manchester – Source: historyextra

20 Responses to “Egyptians”

1. Good videos

2. hi everone me,Tashanjit,simrat,gurleen,jaskiran and simran k practiced the king tut dance so my request to mrs van is if we can show the class how we do it during pe when we practice

3. hi All, Please continue the chat about the assembly on the chat page. 🙂

4. Never

5. Hi Mrs Van how did the assembly go asking you now because i forgot to ask

• And Mala who is Mrs Girle 😕

• OH
      Our Head teacher
      I didn’t know u spell it that way 😮

• hi Avneet

The assembly was fabulous! You did miss a fantastic assembly. Mrs G was so impressed with us and said also it was ‘fabulous’ and there were so many Parents! 🙂

6. Hello Mrs Van

The ASSEMBLY was so good.I really like when Mrs Girle said that everyone stand up and try do dane it was so FUNNY!Rythm enjoyed the Cleopatra Dance and she was singing it a home! Thank you Miss Akhtar for doing the face paint and masks and Mrs Van you did excellant!!! Anyway i will see you on Monday.Scared about the ASSESMENT :b

Bye Mrs Van

• Hi Mala, This is a sweet message, thank you! [hug hug] Yes, I quite liked that bit too – of everyone joining in, I think all the children thought that was quite ‘cool’ 🙂 Even the adults after school thought it was a great idea and they all said you guys were FABULOUS! Team work!! 🙂 We need to say proper thank you to Mrs A for all her ideas and hard work too.

Don’t be scared for the assessment. If you LEARN that text off by heart, you will do REALLY well!! Practise practise and Practise too!!
      Mrs Vx

7. Mrs v can u put the assbely viedo if u have made it

8. Mrs v Now I have practise the dance and my fav is the back

9. Mrs V the power point is not working.

• hi Subam
      It doesn’t have to work at home, Subam. It is not for you to watch at home. So please don’t worry! 🙂