• What is new?

Don't forget to log on to: Purple Mash, Britannica and Read for your school! Remember to visit the reading blog too!

If you quieten your mind, the symphony will start. This means: if you concentrate, all the 'good' things will happen!

PE Wednesdays

The Watercycle - evaporation [sun heats up water and it turns into a gas]-condensation [the droplets, which is a gas, cools down, clouds are formed]-precipitation [rain, hail, snow, sleet]-run-off [rivers, underground water]- collection [water gathers in the oceans] and the process starts again!

Read something every day!

• Hello and welcome!

Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. - Lewis Howes

Ubuntu is an Ancient African word which means: 'I am', because 'we are' - which means - working together.

Queen Nefertiti wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten during the 14th century B.C.
    Hello and Welcome to your Y4 blog- previously the Y5V blog. The name 'Ubuntu' means also to help one another and work together, have compassion and humility - all linking to our 5 school values!

Queen Cleopatra 69 BC
    Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. Always 'try!'
    A person who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. So, do not copy other people, think outside the box and do what you need or want to do. Don't be a follower - be a leader.
    The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    The world is divided into people who do things – and people who get the credit.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Keep on dreaming, it's something good!
    Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly. So, start doing! You'll be amazed by what you will achieve!

Our values: Truth, Compassion, Contentment, Humility and Love   

Our  ‘learning to learn’ skills are:
    Confidence to give everything a go, Persistence, Asking questions, Making links with prior learning, Sharing ideas and forming your own opinions, Creative problem-solving, Thinking things through – planning ahead

Our shared values in Y4: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do and say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and do our work thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

Our Class blog: 2011_12 was shortlisted for the Educational Class Blog Award! Click the image to see we ended up in position nr 10! http://y5atschool.edublogs.org/
    We like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it.

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• Thank you for your visit

• Archives

• Be Awesome!

Eye of Horus - Wedjat eye

• We like to learn new things!

Creative Writing

Creative Writing Club 2013 Summer – enjoy reading what Y5s wrote during our creative writing club!
Creative writing club: Summer 2013

Last week, during creative writing club, we looked at a style in Poetry, called ‘Cento’. We spent time looking at Shakespeare quotes about Chess. We created a variation on the Cento by using the lines of Shakespeare. Please enjoy!

Chess in Shakespeare

A horse! A horse! My days delight.
I amble up and down in a skipping mode.
My life, I never held but as a pawn.
But as a pawn to wage against thine enemies; not fear to lose, the safety being the motive.
Was that the king that spurred his kingdom?
Great shouts within all cry ‘the wonderful king.’
Great is the rumour defend a king should rule well.
The mean knight echoes ‘come not near our queen’
No friends for you knight
Friend or foe
You are a rascal hath
Uneasy lies the head that wears the helmet in honour of the Queen.
My days delight has past, my horse is gone.
Farewell sweet queen
All my mates have gone now.
My mate that’s never to be found again.
By Rifah  25.04.2013

Shakespeare and chess

A king! A king!
The king and queen there!
There stands the castle.
I have his horse.
Give me another horse
So the good horse is mine.
The rascal had removed my horse.
We need the knights ready to begin their triumph.
Ah! A wandering knight.
Oh no, what have I done,
I’m in checkmate silly me!
I can finally assassin the queen.
Oh no, you don’t, your in checkmate.
So I declare a draw but we will come back
By: Manveer 25.04.2013

Wolf Cento

by Simone Muench
Very quick. Very intense, like a wolf
at a live heart, the sun breaks down.
What is important is to avoid
the time allotted for disavowels
as the livid wound
leaves a trace leaves an abscess
takes its contraction for those clouds
that dip thunder & vanish
like rose leaves in closed jars.
Age approaches, slowly. But it cannot
crystal bone into thin air.
The small hours open their wounds for me.
This is a woman’s confession:
I keep this wolf because the wilderness gave it to me.

Sources for the above cento: [Anne Sexton, Dylan Thomas, Larry Levis, Ingeborg Bachmann, Octavio Paz, Henri Michaux, Agnes Nemes Nagy, Joyce Mansour, William Burroughs, Meret Oppenheim, Mary Low, Adrienne Rich, Carl Sandburg] – from: Poets.org
Reversed Poetry

I love the way the sun fills up my soul

I love the way the sun fills up my soul,
With utter joy and pleasure.
I love using my spade to dig a hole,
And in the hole I might discover some treasure
In the hole I might discover some treasure
I love using my spade to dig a hole,
With utter joy and pleasure,
I love the way the sun fills up my soul

Jasmine and Rifah 02.05.13

manu

Man united are the best!

They never ever fail the test.
Man United play with their hearts,
never giving up and never fail their task.
Man United are the best in the world
Never giving up and never fail their task
Man United play with their hearts,
They never ever fail the test
Man United are the best!
Manveer 02.05.2013

Manu-1
Man United are the best!

Man United are the best than all the rest,
Lobbing the ball
In the goal makers
Man United are really more important than the rest
Man United are the best than all the rest!
Man United play from their hearts,
So they can never fail their task,
So they can never fail their task,
Man United play from their hearts
In the goal makers
Lobbing the ball
Man United are the best!
—Amrit 02.05.2013

cheese1

Cheese

Cheese is gross and smelly
If I had cheese
I would leave it from the start.
This is crazy cheese!
It gets eaten,
Even though it is food, it’s crazy!
It gets eaten
This is crazy cheese!
I would leave it from the start
If I had cheese
Cheese is gross and smelly.
Krish   02.05.2013

Pandora Discovered – We watched these clips to inspire our writing in creating our own planet. We hope you will enjoy our writing!
Kdorala

About Kdorala:
Planet Kdorala is 3.8 light years from Earth or any other planet surrounding it. This gas filled planet is the biggest planet in the solar system, even bigger than the sun! Its amazing planet’s solar system is called Beta-Beta and is the only planet in that solar system. Stars surrounding Kdorala are called sun stars and have a strange and extraordinary beauty.
Kdorala’s Appearance:
Apart from Kdorala’s strange beauty, it’s also filled with wonder, mystery and the unknown! Its grass lands cover up most of the planet and some tropical rainforest parts light it up when it gets dark. There are also some magical trees with branches that will carry you on unexpected travels, if you are not careful enough! If you compare Kdorala to Earth, Kdorala is 7 times the size of anything on Earth and Earth’s atmosphere.
Animals that live there:
The mythical animals that live there have a wing span of 70 metres and are massive, dangerous and weird-looking creatures with blood-dripping and glowing eyes. Wide varieties of animals live on Kdorala, including the jungle-lion-lizards and some very dangerous predators, roaming around half of the planet. Most of the animals are vegetarians, although a small number are non veg. The Diya Horse, a very weird type of horse, has the unusual ability to squirt blood out of its little beady eyes, which scares humanoids on the planet to death.
By: Annpreet Khera Y5
Creative Writing Club: Summer 2013

Cinity
Solar system
Cinity is located 6.8 light years away from Earth and is nineteen times the size of it. It has a main surrounding star called Cornea Peculiar and Cornea Peculiar gets farther and farther away from Cinity as years go on and it might explode as it gets closer to the sun! Cinity orbits the large planet Albatross, as well as four other minor and similar planets.
Atmosphere and Climate
Cinity is made up of mostly water and the land only takes up 17 percent of the entire planet. Only marine animals live on Cinity, due to changing weather patterns and floods. There used to be large areas covered in woodland savannah, but a massive flood destroyed much of the land and all the savannah grasslands. The most efficient super conductor known to exist, Quoil, is a precious stone that is turquoise. It can heal bad wounds when melted and applied, although it can only be applied to open wounds. Because Cinity is a very weird and eccentric place, the water is a pinkish – orange and the land is similar to the land of Earth. The weather on Cinity is ever-changing and predicting weather the next day is hard. There is only one kind of tree, called the Dimintivetree, and it gets its name from diminutive, as the trees are very small. The air holds a lethal, fatal and deadly chemical called Toxicritis and if humans breathe it in, they immediately suffocate.
Animals on Cinity
There are not a variety of animals living on Cinity, but there is a wide diversity living in the water, like the Siri, which is a huge newt-like monster that feeds on mineral, found deep beneath the ocean. Also, another animal, the Priafish, which has large gills that grow out of its body, has a length span of 22 meters and it can transform and disguise itself into coral. Another animal, the lunar monster Solarilar, can change time at night and day, but if it happens at daytime, it weakens itself extremely quickly, due to the heat of the planet’s surface.

BY: Jasmine Kang Y5
Creative writing club: Summer 2013

About Belfi:
Belfi is a small planet, which is a million miles away from Earth, and this planet is not an ordinary planet. Belfi is actually a planet you have never seen before! It has got strange animals and a half human half horse.
The atmosphere:
The atmosphere in Belfi is very exotic, because there are big sandy mountains, which are filled with water below it and it is so strong it can flood up to a distance of 200 million miles, even to Earth and some other planets in the solar system, but it will only happen if you dig through the sand mountains. Belfi has a very hot and mild climate, which makes it almost uninhabitable for humans.
Animals:
Most animals in Belfi are very gentle and kind to one another but some other wild creatures, like the beast lion and half human half horse, can be really harmful and dangerous, but it can only happen if you threatened them. Beast lions have sharp carnivore teeth, which allow biting through flesh of a human and many creatures with similar abilities in Belfi. The half human half horse is the same as a human but has legs like a horse and a tail at the back. Some animals survive easily due to their abilities to fly, but others die instantly, especially when temperatures on Belfi soar to a very high, unbearable temperature.
Manveer Nagra Y5
– Creative Writing Club: Summer 2013

Charondora
Appearance:
The planet Charondora has a wide variety of strange, but awesome beauty, which surrounds the skies and solar systems of this mysterious planet. Wherever you look, there are new breathtaking views, waiting to be discovered. Charondora is 2.4 light years away from Earth. Weather on Charondora is just unbelievable and incredible mild. Exotic fruits and foods are available any season; therefore, space visitors are growing in numbers to visit this beautiful and pleasant planet. When it gets dark at night, multi-coloured, big glowing stars filled the lit-up night sky; you do not need a telescope to take a look at the stars of Charondora; they are visible through the naked eye. Also, these stars are ever changing, so you got to see the most spectacular scenes every night!
Atmosphere:
Charondora has a wonderful, amazing atmosphere, which is extraordinary as it is very much similar to Earth, surrounded by an atmosphere and similar gases, like oxygen and hydrogen. No deadly or harmful gases are to be found on the friendly Charondora. Everywhere you look; there is astonishing action, where you will die to take pictures and there is always something new to discover.
Animals:
There are a huge variety of wild animals, for an example there is a Lanubis; which is a land animal and dies if it touches water. It cannot drink water, but only juices which are from a special waterfall that can be found right in the centre of Charondora. The Mara, a dangerous and poisonous animal has the ability to leap across the whole Chanrondora planet in just 2 seconds!
By Rifah Tabassum Y5
Creative writing club
Summer 2013

Poetry

North South East West
In the North I can see the forest with trees big and bold surrounded by the school gates. I can see the branches reaching up like bony fingers. I can see the bony fingers reaching to the sky.

In the South I can see a school full of learning and full of intelligent children. I can see them impatiently putting their hand up desperately waiting to shout out the answer. I can see the teacher explaining out a word problem.

In the East I can see sky scrapers in the middle of high street. I can see the busy high street packed with people going in and out of shops. I can see people enjoying themselves.

In the West I can see and feel the wild wind blowing away everything in its path like a tornado. I can also see the wind waving to the blue sky. I can see the blue sky empty with no animals in sight.
By Annpreet Khera Y5
– Creative writing club: Summer 2013

Copyright ©      Provided by PrimaryBlogger    Designed by WPDesigner    Hosted by PrimaryBlogger