• What is new?

Don't forget to log on to: Purple Mash, Britannica and Read for your school! Remember to visit the reading blog too!

If you quieten your mind, the symphony will start. This means: if you concentrate, all the 'good' things will happen!

PE Wednesdays

The Watercycle - evaporation [sun heats up water and it turns into a gas]-condensation [the droplets, which is a gas, cools down, clouds are formed]-precipitation [rain, hail, snow, sleet]-run-off [rivers, underground water]- collection [water gathers in the oceans] and the process starts again!

Read something every day!

• Hello and welcome!

Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. - Lewis Howes

Ubuntu is an Ancient African word which means: 'I am', because 'we are' - which means - working together.

Queen Nefertiti wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten during the 14th century B.C.
    Hello and Welcome to your Y4 blog- previously the Y5V blog. The name 'Ubuntu' means also to help one another and work together, have compassion and humility - all linking to our 5 school values!

Queen Cleopatra 69 BC
    Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. Always 'try!'
    A person who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. So, do not copy other people, think outside the box and do what you need or want to do. Don't be a follower - be a leader.
    The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    The world is divided into people who do things – and people who get the credit.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Keep on dreaming, it's something good!
    Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly. So, start doing! You'll be amazed by what you will achieve!

Our values: Truth, Compassion, Contentment, Humility and Love   

Our  ‘learning to learn’ skills are:
    Confidence to give everything a go, Persistence, Asking questions, Making links with prior learning, Sharing ideas and forming your own opinions, Creative problem-solving, Thinking things through – planning ahead

Our shared values in Y4: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do and say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and do our work thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

Our Class blog: 2011_12 was shortlisted for the Educational Class Blog Award! Click the image to see we ended up in position nr 10! http://y5atschool.edublogs.org/
    We like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it.

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• Thank you for your visit

• Archives

• Be Awesome!

Eye of Horus - Wedjat eye

• We like to learn new things!

Did you see this quote on the left sidebar of the blog? The meaning: If you concentrate, you are quiet and then the GOOD work flows! The ‘symphony’ refers to the GOOD work. So, in class, make sure you are quiet and you concentrate in order to listen carefully and then to know WHAT to do and HOW to do it. 

[gview file=”http://ubuntu.primaryblogger.co.uk/files/2015/10/youcangrowyourintelligence.pdf”]- Did you also know: You can make yourself smarter:

– You can practise and learn new things and make yourself more clever! Remember this! Learn more, read and read widely, make yourself smarter and be the best kid on the blog! This is the picture we looked at during a discussion in class. We also read from the uploaded document. Click on the image for a larger view.

Our 8 Rs of learning will be a great starting point to the new academic year!

1. Responsibility – know that you are in charge of your learning
  2. Risk – taking – having a go
  3. Readiness – being ready to learn
  4. Resilience – keep trying, stay positive and persevere
  5. Resourcefulness – try a different way and find and use resources independently
  6. Responsive – respond in the right way to peers and adults
  7. Remembering – apply your learning in other lessons
  8. Reflection – think about what and how you’ve learnt and learn from your mistakes

Stop Bullying Follow this link to read more about bullying.

Bullying: Definition

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behaviour among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behaviour is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.

Hi Everyone – about the comments – Most pages’ comments are ‘closed’, apart from the Homework, Parents, Poetry and Numeracy pages. The reason: too many of you leave comments on random pages and your friends don’t know you’ve left a comment to respond to. If you read something e.g. on the bored page and you find it very interesting, please tell your friends on the ‘chat’ page about it. It makes it easier for everyone to know where all the ‘chat’ is happening. I hope it all makes sense. 🙂

1. Everything you say here…IS Public! Anyone in the world can read it.

Please follow our rules:

2. Only use your first name no surnames

3. Keep safe and DO NOT reveal any personal information, use only your FIRST name when leaving comments. If there are two pupils with the same name, you leave your first name and the FIRST letter of your surname -e.g. Simran C – When using Teachers’ names, only first letter, e.g. Mr S, Ms W, etc.

4. If you attach an image to your message, make sure it’s not an image that will offend anyone and NOT a picture of yourself or anyone of your family/friends! Those messages will get deleted. DO NOT upload any image that is a bit ‘inappropriate‘ or upsetting to look at – or that will offend anyone. Nature pictures: the NORMAL beautiful pictures we ALL like to look at. Other: your own, NOT – please follow our E-safety rules.

5. Write in good English including grammar and punctuation. [on other pages/posts, text language is OK for the Chat-page only]

6. Be polite and don’t post anything that could hurt anyone OR site links with a virus! Also, if anyone has left you a comment on your work, please respond to the comment, either by thanking the person for taking time to leave you a comment or in any other positive way. Do not use capital letters to write a whole message, e.g. I HAVE A NEW BOOK – it means you are SHOUTING! and we do not shout on the blog [or Internet]. 🙂 Also, do not repeat a message more than 3 times. It is pointless to say the same thing repeatedly. Do not make more than 5-8 exclamation marks at anyone time. [be sensible]

7. Always show respect and be positive if you are going to comment on  work of a class friend. e.g. John, I like the way you used adjectives, or: Jay, I don’t understand line 3, etc.

8. SPAM will be deleted immediately. There is a SPAM filter in place – via Edublogs – and any suspicious comments or links in the comments box-area will get deleted without warning.

9. Parents who leave comments are asked to use their first name only so as not to identify their child. Or post comments as follows: ‘John’s dad’ or ‘Simran’s Nan’ etc.

10 Please do not post Video links or any other links or any video titles from any video site. [e.g. from youtube]  in message boxes.

11. Please make sure you do not write anything that will offend ANYONE. This includes anything you say from your class friends. Personal issues will be dealt with in school, not on the blog. Read carefully what you post – even something like a poem. Don’t copy something from a site, if you HAVE NOT READ it PROPERLY. Be careful WHAT you copy.

12. COPYRIGHT PROTECTION! PLEASE!  Do not copy anything – in particular poems  and stories – from the Internet and put YOUR name to it. It is like ‘steal‘ – we will discuss this more in class. Anything you write, MUST be the original – your very very own work, otherwise we will expect the original writer’s name to it. If there is no name to it, then you put the word: ‘Anonymous‘ – with it, so readers will know that you don’t know who the writer is.

13. You must write an entry [post] of a small paragraph – roughly like 10 lines [at least], before it will be published. Please, don’t write messages as  a new post or only a picture with no writing to it. Messages are for the chat page.

14. ENJOY BLOGGING! I am just thinking about something – in my mind I see Y5’s training our other Teachers/children on how to blog! [hehe] 

If you have any more concerns about the security of the blog then please feel free to have a chat with Mrs V 

How to leave a GOOD comment on your class friends’ work published on the blog. We are always POLITE when leaving comments. We give CONSTRUCTIVE comments – comments that will HELP the other person.

Key Points: Comments on school work published:

Number one: you must always remember two give two stars (two good points) and a wish (something that they could improve on). For the two good points you must be specific. This means you must quote what you think they have done well. For example: I really like how you have used amazing adjectives (this is where you quote what the amazing adjective is) such as ‘ demonic’. To quote you must use quotation marks like these ‘………. ‘.

After you have done your two good points, think of something they could improve on. For example, they could use a simile or an adverb or a different variety of openers. But once you have given your point you must give an example of how they can use it. So if you have given them advice to use a simile, then put that into a sentence. For example ‘….he was as cunning as a fox…’. So remember always give an example of what you mean so that the writer understands the advice that you are trying to give them.

Number two: Make links –  This means to think of something which reminds you of that thing. Say if you went on holiday (the writer has written this) you could write about your holidays if you had a great time or not E.T.C. It is a way of connecting with the writer. You could begin your sentence by ‘I remember a time when…’ 

Another the way of connecting with the writer is, to ask them a question. Connect your text to things you already know. You could write about your own experiences. You could ask a question like ‘Have you even been through this?’ Remember always add a question mark after your question.

Number three: always leave your blog address when leaving a comment on another blog. By leaving your blog address the person’s work who you have commented on is encouraged to come on to your blog and leave you a comment (hopefully). And if you have asked them a question, then they can answer it on your blog. This is a great way of attracting other bloggers from around the world (who have your blog address) to visit your blog. You should put your blog address at the end of your comment, for example ‘from ….. at www.ubuntu.primaryblogger.co.uk’

And finally Number four: PROOF READ your work at the end of your comment. I think that this is the most important step of them all. You should always proof read your work for spelling mistakes, words which needed to be added or simply if a sentence needs a capital letter/ full stop. It is so easy to write a sentence which does not make sense, so read out your comment quietly to your self to see if it does make sense.

The way you can do a comments is, first you write your comment up in Word, check all your grammar, spelling, etc. then  copy (shortcut-ctrl c) and paste (shoutcut-ctrl v) it in to the comment box.

So, now you know how to leave a good comment. Go to an entry and leave a ‘good’ and constructive comment to someone else to practise.

Birthdays in Y4V

Jaskiran 2nd September, Lakrajan 20th September, Simarpreet 21st September, Tashanjit 8th October, Josh 18th October, Simrat 28th October, Anika 9th November, Arjun S 21st November, Manveer 23rd November, Sahib 27th November, Simran K 5th December, Ranveer 14th December, Arvind 22nd December, Arjan J 29th December, Bakshish 16th January, Trishul 5th February, Rishi 9th February, Joban 12th February, Shabegh 9th April, Ricky 10th April, Harchan 10th May, Gurleen 16th May, Simran C 4th June, Rajveer 14th June, Aaron 19th June, Dilip 20th June, Jesleen 7th July, Jasraj 24th July, Baljorth 5th August.

Cyber [online] bullying

10,432 Responses to “Chat”

1. Miss have u put any videos of us in one of the sections (sorry I don’t know) because I am kinda getting bored at home since I have nothin to do

2. Hi Miss V, can u plz not delete my account becuase I want to put a post after christmas

3. Hi Miss Van, didn’t u put my roblox post on the blog or r u making changes to it to make it better.

• Hi Ricky, Good to see you still around. No, I didn’t know there was a new entry by you. It was only when I saw your message, that I checked. I didn’t expect one, so good that you prompted me. No also for not making things ‘better’ – time for that is no more, as you are now in Y5, you should know what is ‘best’. 🙂 You need to make it better before you submit it.

4. By the way I would like to say congratulations to Tirathot for having a baby sister.
    P.S. She must be too cute to be true 😉 😀

5. Hi Miss!
    Its been a long time since Ive been on the blog

6. Hi guys Its my second day in Wales today I had so much fun on my first day but it was raining. It feels like I’m not in Wales. We’re staying at a guest house along with my amazing cousins. We went to Tenby beach today. It was so sunny here but anyway the sea was freezing at first, after playing around for 10 mins I got used to it. We’re going to go home tomorrow. The first few weeks of my holidays were really boring but now I’m totally enjoying. I’ve learned some Welsh words which I would love to share with you after the holidays.

Enjoy your holidays have a nice time

• hi Simarpreet! That was great to read! How was the rest of the time? I am also now back from South Africa. I had a wonderful time with my family. I will post some pictures later.

7. Mrs I will miss u as our teacher

• Hi Simarpreet – I will miss you all too! Fortunately, you are still at school and you can always come and say hello during lunch times, which I hope you will do! 🙂 x

8. Is anyone on roblox cuz I am bored at home

9. Hi Miss V, is all the homework on the h/w page in case I lose it for the day for the next weeks coming up? thx

• Hi Ricky, I never put homework on the h/w page, only if someone needs something and the Brazil project is now there. Your homework was stuck in your book, so no worries for you.

10. Hi Miss V, can plz put the brazil h/w sheet on the blog plz. 🙂

• Hi Ricky
      Did you not take your second sheet today? I will upload it as a PDF on the Homework page.

• Thanks Mrs Van. 😀

• Hi Mrs Van, for the model of the Amazon River, can I get a metal box and paint light blue for the water with green for the rest? Thx

• hi Ricky, Can I suggest that you make a model of the river, that means that use something that represents the river. Please ask me in class, so I can explain to everyone.

11. Happy birthday mrs Van! Hope you have a wonderful birthday and all your wishes come true.

From Gurleen

12. Happy birthday mrs van and simrat happy birthday to your brother to hope you have a wonderful day

13. happy birthday Mrs v from simrat

14. hi mrs van just to remind you need to print out our assesmbly line for us

15. hi mrs van just wanted to remind you about the boy version of dork diaries. you said we would have it in our class library and school libary

• Hi Simarpreet! Thank you for reminding me! I DID forget! I quickly went to your entry to look up the title again, so on Scholastic I have now added 3 of your suggestions to a new order! It seems to me that there’s only 1 boy book so far.

16. Hi Mrs V, i am sorry I have forgot to do my homework english on Tuesday

17. Hi guys over the weekend on Saturday I made this Minnie Mouse picture without tracing.

• My older sister made Ariel without tracing and I made the boat and the sea and my little sis made the clouds.

18. Simarpreet, inform me when your playing Roblox so I can Join your Game.

19. Hi Miss V, wut do u mean by “What was the effect in the twist” in english H/W?

20. Mrs Van please can you put the spellings on the spelling page of the blog?

• hi Bakshish, The list I gave you on Friday, is from a different list of spelling words. Sorry

21. Hi Miss V, can you plz put the spellings on the website?

• Hi Ricky, I can’t, the spellings on the site is a mixed list and not exactly the same as yours. Sorry! I don’t have time to separate them.

22. hi mrs van! I posted the entry about max crumbly